Amazing David

Amazing David

Thursday, August 4, 2011

KEEPING THE MAGIC ALIVE.......

I learnt my art the hard way...Trial an error, the error outdoing the trial most of the time. But a lot of ventures have been successful and love and support from Mom, friends and fans, has resulted in today’s   “Amazing David!!”
However I did get Tips and tricks from a lot of people. One of the first to teach me tricks was a man named Basant Thapa. He would sell magic effects on the pavement in front of the Indian museum. I would sit with him for ages on the foot path and watch him demonstrate his wares to passer bys. It was there that I watched in awe, a dwarf who called himself Peter do some amazing sleight of hand with a coin. Later on, I was guided by Mr. Tarun Das, who would demonstrate science magic at the Birla Industrial and Technological museum. Invaluable advice came from Mr.Sujit Mukherjee, Mr.Solyl Kundu and Mr. Deepayan Chatterjee...who has grown to be my brother in magic. Today, it is mainly advice both to and from my friends in magic that keep pushing me towards better magic.
When friend and proprietor of Loknath Magic Centre, Santanu Sen, suggested that I take over mentoring two boys from the UK, I was happy to oblige. The twin boys, Arinjoy and Devjoy, nicknamed Sunny and Happy, were into magic for many years, however they lacked proper guidance. They were the grandsons of a popular magician based in Malaysia. Unfortunately their grandfather passed away before he could pass on the legacy to the boys. They did have an avid interest in magic and had performed shows with their Grandfathers props and props they had procured from Santanu. They mainly wanted to learn sleight of hand and magic they could do anytime, anywhere!

Sunny, Amazing David and Happy
I designed especially for them, a parasol act. Since they were identical twins, they would do the same act together. One being a mirror image of the other. Since it was their first attempt at stage sleight of hand, we had to work with simple sleights that would result in good magic. The act was designed for a lay audience, but would also wow magicians. They picked up pretty quick and I was impressed with their progress.

Working on the parasol act
Happy, Amazing David and Sunny doing the act together.
As far as close up magic was concerned, the two youngsters were having trouble to do justice to the question most beginner magicians fear –“show me a trick” or “do some magic” .We covered loads of effects using coins, cards, rubber bands, and everyday objects. Also covered were effects in mental magic that could be performed on stage or up close. Besides these effects which could be done with borrowed props, I also presented them with a bunch of my favourite close up effects.
Also, we video recorded all the lessons so that the boys had a record for future reference. It was a wonderful experience mentoring Happy and Sunny. I was glad i could share my magic with two boys who well deserved it. All the very best to both of you. Take care. God bless.

....and they are more than happy to reward their teacher........!!
Till we meet again, this is Amazing David..
Believe in magic
www.amazingdavidmagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment