Amazing David

Amazing David

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March Masala!!


Year endings and exams…….the things I hate about March. On the other hand I usually look forward to my birthday every year.. so march is a month of mixed emotions.

A metal detector proves i hide no tools to aid the escape..
The Federation of Indian Magic Associates held their 2nd Magic Fair at the Rabindra Sadan ground from the 2nd to the 6th of the month. I was scheduled to perform my Flames and Fiber escape. At 5:30 pm on the evening of the 2nd , I stood in the centre of a circle of straw with an anticipated audience all around me…..

The challenge was to escape from the bonds of a 100 feet of rope with in 90 seconds if not the straw would be ignited adding to the challenge. Though the escape involved a lot less fire than ‘the escape from inferno’ it was none the less more challenging. Besides, I also had a tip-off that there was a chance of the stunt being sabotaged. So with a prayer in my heart and well wishes from my friends, loved ones and colleagues, I announced the escape. After a short introduction touching on the life and work of master escape artist, Harry Houdini. I asked for volunteers to bind me.

The knots get tight as the straw is doused with fuel..
A rather shrewd looking guy came up on his own and I picked another guy who seemed to be a college student. Both guys inspected the chair to which I was to be bound as well as the rope. Once they were satisfied, I sat on the chair and they began to tie me.

Captive..!
The ropes began to tighten against my chest and stomach, then between my legs and arms. I could feel the ropes getting tighter and tighter….tighter than they had ever been…..i could hear the legs of the chairs squeak and crunch as the two from the audience bound me to the piece of furniture. The back legs of the chair started to break under tension of the rope. Of the at least 200 times that I have performed this escape, I had never been bound so tightly or so intricately.

The escape begins..
I could feel my blood flow getting restricted and my hands started to turn a ghastly shade of purple. The six and a half minutes of music had run out twice…. I was being bound for over fifteen minutes. I started feeling faint as my blood circulation was practically stopped. The final knots were tightened and I thanked my two volunteers as they returned to their seats. “Stay Calm” I said to my self. I took a deep breadth and started the escape. There wasn’t an inch of slack rope anywhere. Straining my muscles, I managed to get my right hand out… I started pulling at the knots…..before I knew it, the chair broke beneath me…tying to remain in the seated position I wriggled my body to get out of the knots… in vain.

feeling 'HOT HOT HOT!'
Smokin!!
To add to my plight, my restricted blood flow had caused my body to go numb. Ninety seconds just flew by and the ring of straw was set ablaze by my assistants. I tipped over in the chair and frantically began to gather enough slack… To say the least the fire was hot…. I could feel the heat around my face and palms. I was still bound to the chair and the flames were getting higher.

Out of the flames...Struggling with the rope..

MOM!!
 I managed to stand up and jump out of the circle of fire while I was still bound to the chair… using all my strength and remaining energy I lay on my back on the ground and freed my self from the tangle of fiber that was holding me captive.


'why cant u stick to producing flowers??'said my aunt
 In relief and victory I threw the chair into the flames while the audience cheered….and mom ran into the performing area for a tight hug. Photographs and autographs for friends and fans followed as I triumphantly placed another feather in my cap.


Congratulated my Pamela ma'am, one of my
school teachers..

On the 6th, FIMA honored me and the other Kolkata magicians who were part of “India’s Magic Star” with bouquets and plaques. On the same day I performed at the event. Geometrically impossible, a new twist on the voodoo box and of course Illuminati, my light manipulation routine which I actually did as a show off to other magicians.


Geometrically Impossible..

There were no other performances lined up this month but there are a few things in the pipeline…wish me luck for that.

Ruchira....!!!!

I celebrated a quite birthday this year and was honored to receive a self-written poem from my friend and fan Ryan Viegas from Mumbai. Well here it is…without his permission… :-D





HAPPY BIRTHDAY

A birthday is the most happiest time of the YEAR

It should be celebrated with a piece of cake and a glass full of BEER,

It’s the day you get everything you ever WANTED,

A magical day when every wish is GRANTED,

I hope you have a birthday better than the BEST,

So party hard and enjoy the day to the FULLEST,

I don’t have any gift but I promise to help you in making your dreams come TRUE,

You are a good person and you deserve an awesome birthday so-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.


Thank you so much dude….I am really touched….




 The birthday card made by Ruchira and Rongit, my niece and nephew,
saluting my undying love for KFC....
 
God bless and I hope to see you soon. Until next time…

BELIEVE IN MAGIC!!


************************************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment